Friday, August 14, 2009

We are the Sprocket Holes vol. 103

THE FRENCH SAY "F*CK YOU HELLYWOOD

My boy Travis just pointed me to this very interesting article where some big French filmmakers have spoken out against Hollywood - and take a stab at the Elm Sreet reboot whle they're at it. Here's a tatse.

"I can only talk for myself, but Hollywood is not much of an attraction for me," Mr. Du Welz (the director Calvaire and Vinyan) says. "I know I wouldn't be happy on a film set having two line producers prodding me like on a commercial."

"Directors like myself, Alexandre Bustillo and Julien Maury, and Pascal Laugier have all been getting sent the same scripts, it's not like Hollywood is interested in us as individual talents," he adds.

Mr. Bustillo (co-director of Inside) is in total agreement: "We [Julien Maury and I] have an American agent who couldn't understand how we could turn down directing a remake of 'A Nightmare on Elm Street.' He felt we were going to earn a lot of money and make a big hit -- why refuse? But for us, the screenplay wasn't any good, and we weren't going to be able to rewrite it. We're not interested in cheating, we want to make films we can be proud of."

No comments: